Takatoro Tall Stone Lantern at Suzaki
A Tall Stone Lantern that Tells of the History of Tsuruga Port
The tall stone lantern located in the front garden of the Tsuruga Kanko Hotel was built in 1802, and is the oldest remaining stone lantern of its type on the Sea of Japan coast. The square base measures 2.3 meters on each side, and the lantern stands 7.5 meters tall. Because the tower was originally constructed at the corner of the private residence of the shipping agent Shoyama Seibei of Cha-machi (now Kawasaki-cho), the tower is also known as the “Shoyama Tall Stone Lantern.”
- Traffic access
- By car: Approx. 10 min. from Tsuruga IC on the Hokuriku Expressway
- By bus: Take the Kaigan-sen line Community Bus from JR Tsuruga Station to Gyokyo-mae Bus Stop (approx. 12 min.), then walk approx. 5 min.
- By bus: Take the Tsuruga Excursion Line Bus from JR Tsuruga Station to Osakana Street Bus Stop (approx. 21 min.),then walk approx 5 min.
- New Address:
- Kawasaki-cho, Tsuruga City, Fukui Prefecture
- No parking available