Minato Tsuruga Yama Kaikan
The Floats of the Tsuruga Festival, All in One Place
All six of the beautiful and exciting floats of the Tsuruga Festival are kept stored here, with three of them on display. The permanent exhibits include figures of warriors, authentic armor and helmets, Noh play masks and more, and an exhibit on Otani Yoshitsugu, the lord of Tsuruga Castle. Video and slide projectors help give a sense of the scale of the large, incredible festival floats during the Tsuruga Festival, as well.
Tsuruga Festival (held in September)
The greatest event in the Hokuriku region: the people of Tsuruga carry omikoshi shrines and parade six magnificent floats around the city. The festival plaza, carnival parade, and nighttime folk dances are all well worth seeing, or simply enjoy the atmosphere of a city celebrating one big festival.
- Traffic access
- By car: Approx. 10 min. from Tsuruga IC on the Hokuriku Expressway
- By bus: Take the Kaigan-sen line Community Bus from JR Tsuruga Station to Yamakaikan Bus Stop (approx. 12 min.)
- By bus: Take the Tsuruga Excursion Line Bus from JR Tsuruga Station to Hakubutsukan Street Bus Stop (approx. 5 min.)
- New Address:
- 7-6 Aioi-cho, Tsuruga City, Fukui Prefecture
- Free parking available (shared parking lot on Museum Street, next to Minato Tsuruga Yama Kaikan)
- 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Closed on:
- Mondays (or the following weekday if Monday is a holiday) and new year holidays
- Adults ¥300 (for groups of 20 or more, ¥250 each)
- Children under 18 admitted free
- Combo Ticket (includes admission to Tsuruga Municipal Museum)
- Adults ¥500 (for groups of 20 or more, ¥400 each)
- Free admission on Seimei Morning Market days (3rd Sunday of each month)