Tsuruga Red Brick Warehouse
Red Brick Buildings with a Century of History
The Tsuruga Red Brick Warehouse consists of two buildings on the eastern side of Tsuruga Port, which stand as some of the most distinguished brick buildings in Fukui Prefecture. In January of 2009, the north building, the south building, and the brick wall were all registered as Tangible Cultural Properties of Japan. The warehouse was constructed in 1905, based on a design drawn up by a foreign engineer, to be used for petroleum storage; until several years ago, it was still being used for kombu kelp storage.
In October of 2015, the Tsuruga Red Brick Warehouse reopened as a new sightseeing destination combining historical accuracy and entertainment, with the early 20th century Tsuruga townscape depicted in the railroad and port diorama, and restaurants offering the best of the food of Tsuruga. In addition to the Tsuruga Red Brick Warehouse, there are other old storehouses in the area that are still in use, near Kirameki Minato-kan, providing a wonderfully old-fashioned atmosphere.
Storehouses Near Tsuruga Red Brick Warehouse
Former Tsuruga Storehouses (New Port Warehouses No. 1–3 of the former Tsuruga Storehouse Corporation)
Built in 1933 on reclaimed land, which had been extended as part of the second-term Tsuruga Port reconstruction work completed in 1932. The exterior features distinctive Spanish tilework, as well as the Modernist influences that led to its being known as the “Modern Storehouse” when it was completed. Built in the expectation of the growth of Tsuruga Port and increased shipping loads after the second-term construction, the storehouses were built with room to expand, both by adding second floors and by expanding to the west.
Wooden Storehouses (New Port Warehouses No. 4–7 of the former Tsuruga Storehouse Corporation)
These seaside storehouses, destroyed in the air raids of Tsuruga, were restored shortly after the war. Due to insufficient resources, the warehouses were rebuilt in various sizes, and in various styles, with some featuring old-fashioned Japanese-style mud-walled storehouse frames and some featuring Western-style structures.
- Traffic access
- By car: Approx. 10 min. from Tsuruga IC on the Hokuriku Expressway
- By bus: Take the Tsuruga Excursion Line Bus (Tourism Route) from JR Tsuruga Station to Akarengasoko-mae Bus Stop (approx. 10 min.).
- New Address:
- 4 Kanegasaki-cho, Tsuruga City, Fukui Prefecture
- Free parking available (approx. 60 car spaces)
- Diorama Building: 9:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. (last admission at 5:00 p.m.)
- Restaurant Building: 9:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. (individual restaurants’ hours may vary)
- Closed on:
- Wednesdays (or the following weekday if Wednesday is a holiday)
- New year holidays (Dec. 31 to Jan. 2)
- Diorama Building
- Adults ¥400 (for groups of 20 or more, ¥320 each)
- Children 3–12 years old ¥200 (for groups of 20 or more, ¥160 each)
- Children under 3 admitted free